Legendary Keith Richard Part Five
Richards playing” Micawber,” a 1953 Fender Telecaster in 2006. Richards has a collection of roughly 3,000 guitars. Despite the fact that he has actually utilized various guitar designs, in a 1986 Guitar World meeting Richards joked that regardless of what design he plays, “provide me 5 mins as well as I’ll make ’em all appear the exact same.” Richards has actually typically given thanks to Leo Fender, as well as various other guitar makers for making the tools, as he did throughout the induction event of the Rolling Stones right into the Rock and also Roll Hall of Fame. Several of his significant tools are:
* Harmony Meteor — This was Richards’ major guitar in the Stones’ very early durations; it was just about retired in 1964 when he obtained his Les Paul Standard.
* 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard — Richards obtained this tool, fitted with a Bigsby tailpiece, in 1964. The guitar was the initial “star-owned” Les Paul in Britain as well as acted as among Richards’ major tools with 1966. He later on offered the guitar to future Rolling Stones bandmate Mick Taylor. The guitar was more than likely taken throughout the Nellcôte break-in in July 1971.
* 1961 Epiphone Casino — Richards initially utilized this tool in May 1964, soon prior to the Stones’ initial scenic tour of America. The guitar (together with the 1959 Les Paul Standard) came to be an often utilized guitar by Richards up until 1966.
* 1965 Gibson Firebird VII;- In the mid 1960s, Richards, as well as Brian Jones, were typically seen with matching Firebird VIIs in classic sunburst.
* 1957 Gibson Les Paul Custom — In 1966 Richards got a 1957 Les Paul Custom, and also hand-painted it with psychedelic patterns in 1968. It worked as his major phase and also workshop guitar from 1966 via completion of the Rolling Stones’ 1971 UK trip. The guitar was more than likely swiped throughout the Nellcôte break-in in July 1971, as well as wound up in the hands of an enthusiast in the mid-1990s.
* He obtained a 2nd late 1950s Gibson Les Paul Custom in 1969 to make use of in open-G adjusting on the 1969 and also 1970 excursion.
* Gibson ES-355s — Richards utilized this semi-hollow design on phase throughout the Rolling Stones’ 1969 scenic tour; it was a preferred for both Richards as well as Taylor throughout videotaping sessions for Sticky Fingers and also Exile on Main St. Richards has actually made use of ES-355s on every trip given that 1997. In 2006, he additionally introduced a white Gibson ES-345.
* Gibson Les Paul Juniors — Richards has actually consistently utilized both single-cutaway as well as double-cutaway Juniors considering that 1973. The one he is most often seen with is a TV-yellow double-cutaway tool nicknamed “Dice”, which he has actually utilized given that 1979. On current scenic tours he has actually utilized this guitar for “Midnight Rambler” as well as “Out of Control”.
* 1953 Fender Telecaster – The guitar most connected with Richards, he got this butterscotch Telecaster in 1971. Nicknamed “Micawber”, after a personality in Charles Dickens’ unique David Copperfield, it is established for five-string open-G adjusting (-GDGBD), and also has an aftermarket bridge made from brass, with private saddles as opposed to the 3 the initial bridge would certainly have had. Richards has actually eliminated the saddle for the reduced string. The neck pick-up has actually been changed by Ted Newman Jones with a Gibson PAF humbucking pick-up, and also the bridge pick-up has actually been changed by a Fender lap steel pick-up (comparable to a Fender Broadcaster pick-up). Ted Newman Jones racked up a number of guitars to reconstruct Keith’s collection, 2 of which to today are Keith’s most renowned guitars, a 1953 butterscotch-Telecaster which he would certainly later on (in the 1980s) name ‘Micawber’ as well as a 1954 all-natural ash completed Telecaster he would certainly later on call ‘Malcolm’. For many years, there was conjecture that the ‘Micawber’ Telecaster was perhaps the Telecaster that Eric Clapton offered to Keith at the time of the Exile sessions. Ted Newman Jones squelched the concept, “No, that guitar was not from Eric Clapton. It and also a 1954 one (‘Malcolm’) were several of the ones I changed when his guitars were taken at Nellcôte.” “Micawber” is just one of Richards’ primary phase guitars, and also is frequently utilized to play “Brown Sugar”, “Before They Make Me Run”, and also “Honky Tonk Women”.
* 1954 Fender Telecaster — A 2nd Telecaster, nicknamed both “Malcolm” and also “Number 2”, is additionally established for 5-string open-G adjusting with the exact same bridge arrangement as Micawber as well as has a Gibson PAF pick-up in the neck placement. It has an all-natural surface and also the timber grain shows up.
* 1967 Fender Telecaster — A 3rd Telecaster made use of for five-string open-G having fun is a dark sunburst design, which is additionally fitted with a Gibson PAF pick-up. The PAF on this guitar has actually had its cover eliminated, revealing the bobbins. Richards has actually utilized this guitar on phase for several tracks, consisting of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and also “Tumbling Dice”.
* 1958 Fender Stratocaster — Fellow Rolling Stones guitar player Ronnie Wood offered Richards his 1958 Mary Kaye Signature Stratocaster after the band’s 1982 excursion. The guitar is ended up in translucent blonde as well as fitted with gold equipment. Richards has actually utilized this guitar onstage for “You Don’t Have to Mean It” and also “Miss You”.
* 1975 Fender Telecaster Custom — Richards initially utilized this guitar on the Rolling Stones’ 1975 Tour of the Americas, and also it was his primary phase and also recording guitar up until 1986. It was later on adjusted for five-string open-G adjusting, as well as came back on phase in 2005.
* Ampeg Dan Armstrong plexiglas guitar — The Dan Armstrong guitar was provided to Richards throughout wedding rehearsals for the 1969 trip  as well as turned into one of his primary phase and also workshop guitars up until it was swiped throughout the Nellcote robbery in July 1971. For the 1972 excursion, he bought 2 brand-new Dan Armstrong guitars, which he just utilized throughout the initial number of programs. Fitted with a personalized “continual treble” humbucker pick-up, he utilized the guitar primarily in conventional adjusting. It can be listened to on “Carol”, “Sympathy for the Devil”, and also “Midnight Rambler” on Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out. On the 1970 scenic tour Richards included a 2nd Dan Armstrong guitar fitted with a “rock treble” pick-up.
* Gibson Hummingbird — played because the late 1960s
* Gibson L6-S Custom — Played around the moment of the Black as well as Blue cd. Shows up in the advertising video clips for “Crazy Mama”, “Fool to Cry” and also “Hot Stuff”.
* Zemaitis Five-String — Custom-made in 1974 by British luthier Tony Zemaitis, the guitar nicknamed both “Macabre” and also “the Pirate Zemaitis” was enhanced with heads, a handgun and also a blade. Richards utilized it as his primary open-G guitar from 1975 to 1978, when it was damaged in a fire at his leased Los Angeles residence. Richards utilized a Japanese-made reproduction on the 2005– 06 trip.
* Newman-Jones custom-made guitars — Texas luthier Ted Newman-Jones made a number of custom-made five-string tools that Richards utilized on the 1973 trips of Australasia and also Europe. Richards utilized one more Newman-Jones personalized design on the 1979 New Barbarians excursion.