The Talented Rod Stewart Part Six
2013–present: Return to songwriting – Time and Another Country
In May 2013, Stewart released Time, a rock album of his own original material. It marked a return to songwriting after what Stewart termed “a dark period of twenty years”; he said that writing his autobiography gave him the impetus to write music again. The album entered the UK Albums Chart at number 1, setting a new British record for the longest gap between chart-topping albums by an artist. Stewart’s last No. 1 on the chart had been Greatest Hits Volume 1 in 1979 and his last studio album to top the chart was 1976’s A Night on the Town.
In September 2013, Stewart presented his close friend Elton John with the first Brits Icon award in a special show at the London Palladium, recognising John’s “lasting impact” on UK culture. Stewart quipped that John was “the second-best rock singer ever”, before the two performed a duet on stage.
On 23 June 2015, Stewart announced the release of a new studio album titled Another Country. It was made available for pre-order and was released on 23 October 2015. The video for the first single “Love Is” is available on his Vevo account.
Stewart recorded vocals with Joe Walsh on the Frankie Miller album Frankie Miller’s Double Take, which was released on 30 September 2016.
In May 2000, Stewart was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, for which he underwent surgery in the same month. It had been previously reported he suffered from a benign vocal cord nodule. Besides being a major health scare, the resulting surgery also threatened his voice, and he had to re-learn how to sing. Since then he has been active in raising funds for The City of Hope Foundation charity to find cures for all forms of cancer, especially those affecting children.
Before returning to the UK, Stewart played for his LA Exiles team made up of mostly English expatriates plus a few celebrities, including Billy Duffy of The Cult, in a senior soccer league in Palos Verdes, California.
Despite his father being a supporter of Hibernian, Stewart is a supporter of Celtic, which he mentions in “You’re in My Heart”. He supports the Scotland national team and follows Manchester United as his English side, and he explains his love affair with both Celtic and Manchester United in Frank Worrall’s book, Celtic United. Stewart clarifies this more in his 2012 book (pp 163–64), Rod: The Autobiography, mentioning he “only had an attachment to Manchester United in the 1970s, but that was because they had so many great Scottish players in the 1970s, including Denis Law … When I did eventually click with a team, it was Celtic”. He presented Celtic with the trophy after they won the 2015 Scottish League Cup Final.
Stewart is a model railway enthusiast. His 23 × 124 foot (≈7 × 37 m) HO scale layout in his Los Angeles home is modelled after the New York Central and the Pennsylvania Railroads during the 1940s. Called the Three Rivers City, the layout was featured in the cover story of the December 2007, December 2010, February 2014, and June 2017 issues of Model Railroader magazine. In the 2007 article, Stewart said that it meant more to him to be in a model railroad magazine than a music magazine. He has a second layout at his UK home, based on Britain’s East Coast Main Line. In a sidebar to the 2014 Model Railroader article, Stewart admitted (in an anecdote about his having unwittingly mixed red scenery texturing material into a “turf” mix he used around the bases of buildings) that he is colour-blind.
An auto collector, Stewart owns one of the 400 Ferrari Enzos. In 1982, Stewart was car-jacked on Los Angeles’ Sunset Boulevard, while he was parking his $50,000 Porsche. The car was subsequently recovered.
In September 2002, Stewart’s son, Sean, was sentenced to three months in jail for attacking a man outside a restaurant in Los Angeles. Sean Stewart was also required to pay compensation and to attend anger management, drug and alcohol treatment courses.
Rod Stewart was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2007 New Year Honours for services to music. Collecting it in July 2007 at Buckingham Palace, Stewart commented: “It’s a marvellous occasion. We’re the only country in the world to honour the common man.” He was knighted in the 2016 Birthday Honours for “services to music and charity”.
Stewart was estimated to have a fortune of £170 million in the Sunday Times Rich List of 2017, making him one of the 20 wealthiest people in the British music industry.
Relationships and family
Stewart is known for his liaisons with women and has eight children, by five different mothers:
Sarah Streeter (born 1963)
Sarah was raised by adoptive parents.
(ex-wife of actor George Hamilton)
Kimberly Alana Stewart (born 21 August 1979)
On 21 August 2011, Kimberly gave birth to her first child with Oscar-winning actor Benicio Del Toro, a daughter named Delilah Genoveva.
Sean Roderick Stewart (born 1 September 1980)
Ruby Stewart (born 17 June 1987)
Renée Cecili Stewart (born 1 June 1992)
They separated in 1999 and eventually divorced in 2006.
Liam McAlister Stewart (born 5 September 1994)
Alastair Wallace Stewart (born 27 November 2005 in London)
The couple began dating in 1999 and married in the cloistered medieval monastery La Cervara in Portofino on 16 June 2007 and honeymooned on board the yacht Lady Ann Magee moored in the Italian port of Portofino.
Aiden Patrick Stewart (born 16 February 2011)
In reference to his divorces, Stewart was once quoted as saying, “Instead of getting married again, I’m going to find a woman I don’t like and just give her a house.”
Awards and recognition
Stewart’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
* Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music, 1993.
* Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 1994 (as a solo artist.)
* Received the first ever Diamond Award from the World Music Awards for over 100 million records sold worldwide, 2001.
* Received a Legend Award from the World Music Awards.
* Grammy Award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album, 2005, Stardust … The Great American Songbook Volume III.
* On 11 October 2005, Stewart received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for his contributions to the music industry, located at 6801 Hollywood Boulevard.
* Inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame, 2006.
* According to Stewart, soul singer James Brown called him music’s “best white soul singer” in September 2006.
* Awarded CBE in the 2007 New Year Honours.
* Appointed Knight Bachelor in the 2016 Birthday Honours.
* Received the ASCAP Founders Award in 2011.
* Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 2012 (as a member of Faces).
* To date, Stewart has received seven various Canadian Juno Award nominations.
Rod Stewart’s album and single sales total have been variously estimated as more than 100 million, or at 200 million, in either case earning him a place on the list of best-selling music artists.
* Foot Loose & Fancy Free Tour (1977)
* Blondes ‘Ave More Fun Tour (1978–1979)
* Foolish Behaviour Tour (1980–1981)
* Worth Leavin’ Home For Tour (1981–1982)
* Body Wishes Tour (1983)
* Camouflage Tour (1984–1985)
* Every Beat Of My Heart Tour (1986)
* Out of Order Tour (1988–1989)
* Vagabond Heart Tour (1991–1992)
* A Night to Remember Tour (1993–1994)
* A Spanner in the Works Tour (1995–1996)
* ll Rod, All Night, All The Hits Tour (1998–1999)
* Human Tour (2001)
* Live In Concert Tour (2002)
* From Maggie May To The Great American Songbook Tour (2004)
* Tour (2005)
* Rockin’ In The Round Tour (2007)
* Rocks His Greatest Hits Tour (2008–2009)
* One Rockin’ Night Tour (2009)
* Soulbook Tour (2010)
* Heart & Soul Tour (2011–2012) with Stevie Nicks
* Live the Life Tour (2013)
* The Voice, The Guitar, The Songs Tour (2014) with Santana
* From Gasoline Alley to Another Country: Hits 2016 (2016)
* Rod Stewart: The Hits (2011–2017)